In our latest project at PROGmaatic, we needed a converter to convert lots of information written in Bangla. Unfortunately everything was in Bijoy (SutonnyMJ) font. But our requirement was Unicode formatted data and language preference was PHP.
I thought, no big deal. There should have been lots of converters available, and most of them might be in PHP. After hours of searching (Yes I don’t like coding when I can find something free :D).
Well, I haven’t found a single script which would do what I needed. Two of the following did help me to understand how to develop the converter:
- mynul.com/bangla/ [Mr. Mynul was kind enough to send me the source code. Unfortunately it didn’t work for me when I included it in my project. Probably because of encoding dependency. Also I didn’t like the mapping. But it encouraged me!]
So finally I end up coding one myself. Fork it from my Github account.
In the coding process I have learnt two valuable lessons 🙂
2. Nothing is better than step-by-step Debugging!
1. Make mbstring independent. (I actually figured out the way, but right now I don’t need it since I have mbstring support :))
2. Make memory efficient.
Check the code and let me know if you find a better way, find a bug or need some modification. I will be happy to make the changes and give you the credit 🙂