Development

R.java missing issue after ADT Rev 22.x update

We do a lot of Android development in RPOGmaatic. After the recent ADT 22.x update, all hell broke loose 🙁

Suddenly all our projects couldn’t generate the R file. All sorts of mysterious issues!

Apparently there have been significant changes in the way ADT handles the build. In ADT now there is a new component in the Tools folder called “Android SDK Build-tools” that needs to be installed as well.

adt_build_tool

Now its also possible, the build tools is listed as installed, it will not work. To resolve this, first quit the Eclipse (if its already running), start the Android SDK manager. Then uninstall the Android SDK Build-tools and install again. Start Eclipse and clean build your project again. You should see the R files being generated back again 🙂

Even after that, you might find some more errors regarding resource files.

Go into Project=>properties => Java build path= > Order and Export. Please make sure all your jars are checked.

android_libs

 

I hope these will resolve your issues with updated ADT.

Let me know if you have any new issues.

 

PHP Bijoy to Unicode Converter

In our latest project at PROGmaatic, we needed a converter to convert lots of information written in Bangla. Unfortunately  everything was in Bijoy (SutonnyMJ) font. But our requirement was Unicode formatted data and language preference was PHP.

 

I thought, no big deal. There should have been lots of converters available, and most of them might be in PHP. After hours of searching (Yes I don’t like coding when I can find something free :D).

Well, I haven’t found a single script which would do what I needed. Two of the following did help me to understand how to develop the converter:

So finally I end up coding one myself. Fork it from my Github account.

In the coding process I have learnt two valuable lessons 🙂

1. javascript string method ‘substring‘ is not equivalent to PHP’s string function ‘substr‘ [I spent only 5 hours for this mistake!!!]

2. Nothing is better than step-by-step Debugging!

 

Future modifications:

1. Make mbstring independent. (I actually figured out the way, but right now I don’t need it since I have mbstring support :))

2. Make memory efficient.

 

Check the code and let me know if you find a better way, find a bug or need some modification. I will be happy to make the changes and give you the credit 🙂